How Often To Change Razor Blades?
It is ideal to change your razor blades every 7-14 days or after 5-7 shaves, whichever is earlier.
Maintaining your shaving tool is essential for achieving a clean and smooth shave. However, one of the most important aspects of a good shaving routine is often overlooked: the frequency of changing razor blades.
Using dull or old razor blades can lead to irritation, razor burn, and even infection, making it crucial to know when it’s time to replace your razor blades.
In this blog post, we’ll discuss how often you should change your razor blades to ensure a safe and effective shave.
How Often Should I Change My Razor?
It’s recommended to change your razor blades after 5-7 shaves or every 1-2 weeks, whichever comes first. Even the American Academy of Dermatology recommends the same. This is because razor blades can become dull and harbor bacteria after multiple uses, leading to a less comfortable shave and a higher risk of skin irritation and infection.
Additionally, shaving with dull blades can cause hair to be pulled or tugged, which can result in ingrown hairs or razor bumps.
However, the frequency of blade replacement can vary depending on factors such as the thickness and coarseness of your hair, the frequency of your shaving routine, and the type of razor you’re using.
In any case, it’s always better to err on the side of caution and replace your razor blades more frequently rather than less.
How Do I Know If My Razor Is Dull And Needs Replacement?
There are several signs that can indicate that your razor is past the expiry date and dull that needs to be replaced:
- Pulling or Tugging Sensation: A dull razor blade can cause a pulling or tugging sensation while you’re shaving, rather than gliding smoothly over your skin.
- Skin Irritation: If you’re experiencing skin irritation or razor burn after shaving, it could be a sign that your razor blade is dull and not cutting hair effectively.
- Uneven Shave: A dull razor blade may leave patches of hair unshaven, or leave your skin feeling rough and uneven after shaving.
- Rust or Discoloration: If you notice rust or discoloration on your razor blade, it’s a clear sign that it needs to be replaced.
- It’s Been a While: Even if you’re not experiencing any of the above signs, it’s still recommended to replace your razor blade after 5-7 shaves or every 1-2 weeks to maintain optimal performance and avoid the risk of infection.
If you’re experiencing any of these signs, it’s time to replace your razor blade for a smoother, more comfortable shave.
How To Make Your Razor Blade Last Longer?
Here are some tips on how to make your razor blade last longer:
- Rinse your razor blade with hot water before and after shaving to remove hair, shaving cream, or other debris that could dull the blade.
- Dry your razor blade properly after use to avoid rust and corrosion that can damage the blade. Use a towel or blow dryer to dry the blade thoroughly.
- Store your razor in a dry place away from moisture or humidity to prevent rust or corrosion.
- Use a shaving cream or gel to help lubricate your skin and blade, reducing friction and preventing the blade from becoming dull too quickly.
- Avoid applying too much pressure while shaving, as it can damage the blade and cause it to wear out faster.
- Use a razor blade cover to protect the blade from damage when it’s not in use.
Some Popular Brands and When To Replace Their Razor Blades
How Often Should I Change My Gillette Fusion Proglide Blades?
Gillette recommends changing the blades of the Fusion ProGlide razor after 5-7 shaves or every 7-14 days, whichever comes first.
How Often Should You Change Your Venus Razor Blade?
Venus, a brand owned by Gillette, recommends changing the blades of their razors after 5-10 uses, or approximately once a week.
It depends on how often you shave and the coarseness of your hair and the condition of the blades. Always pay attention to signs of dullness or discomfort during shaving to ensure you have a comfortable and effective shave.
How Often Should You Change Your Razor Blades Billie?
According to the Billie razor company, they recommend changing your razor blade after about 7 shaves, or whenever you feel that the blade is becoming dull or ineffective. This is because a dull blade can cause irritation, nicks, and cuts, and it may not provide as close of a shave as a sharp blade.
How Often Should I Change My Harrys Razor Blade?
Harry’s, another popular razor company, also recommends changing your razor blade after about 5-7 shaves, or when you start to notice that the blade is becoming dull or less effective.